Dermal fillers have become one of the most popular cosmetic treatments over the last decade. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there were nearly 3.5 million filler procedures done in 2020 alone. There are many reasons why patients are drawn to fillers, particularly for smoothing out lines and wrinkles. Not only are they a minimally invasive treatment but they are considered safer and more cost-effective compared to surgical options, such as a face lift. Dermal fillers are also highly versatile with a wide variety of dermal filler types on the market.
Fillers boast a variety of benefits that may help improve the appearance of your skin. They can fill in lines and wrinkles, enhance the volume of lips, and restore volume to the face.
“When used properly, dermal fillers are a great tool to reverse the aging process and enhance natural beauty,” Laura Altman, Physician Assistant at Tribeca MedSpa. If you’re considering undergoing a dermal filler treatment to address fine lines and wrinkles, there are several important considerations to be aware of before that can speed up recovery time and create more long-lasting results.
What Types of Concerns Can Fillers Address?
As we age, facial tissue thins out and the fat pads in the face begin to shrink and fall. Typically starting at age 25, our bodies produce less and less collagen. From then on, the body continues to produce approximately 1% less of collagen each year after. This results in the loss of facial volume, aging, wrinkles and hollowed features.
Fillers can restore a more youthful appearance by:
- Increasing lost facial volume and hollowing in the cheeks, temples and under eye areas
- Smoothing away deep creases in the smile lines, marionette lines and nasolabial folds
- Decreasing the appearance of jowls in the lower face
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in the body. Its primary role is to retain water to help keep your tissues hydrated. As we age, our bodies gradually produce less hyaluronic acid. This contributes to dry and dehydrated skin, decreased elasticity, decreased turgidity, wrinkling, and a loss of facial volume.
Hyaluronic acid fillers are a gel-like form of hyaluronic acid. While there are a variety of fillers available today, fillers made with hyaluronic acids—such as Juvéderm, Restylane, Vollure, and Belotero—are among the most common and highly recommended. With so many dermal treatment options on the market, selecting the right one for your needs may seem challenging. This is why it is important to partner with an experienced medical provider who can evaluate your specific aesthetic goals.
In addition to adding volume under the skin, hyaluronic acid fillers also help:
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Hydrate the skin
- Increase skin turgidity
- Tighten the skin
- Contour the face
The Do’s of Using Fillers for Anti-Aging
When preparing for filler, it’s important to follow a few simple guidelines to ensure that you leave your appointment well on your way to smooth, wrinkle-free skin.
- Search for an experienced provider you feel comfortable with: When selecting a provider for any aesthetic treatment, it’s important to find someone that you feel safe and comfortable with. FDA-approved dermal fillers are subject to strict regulations and are only available from licensed medical providers. Ensure they are a licensed injector before scheduling an appointment.
- Ensure your treatment is done in a clean medical environment: A reputable provider will maintain a clean and sterile environment for your treatments.
- Consider what type of look you want to achieve: Prior to your treatment, it’s important to understand what you would like to achieve from the treatment. Do you prefer a more natural-looking appearance or a more dramatic appearance? This can all be achieved based on the placement of and type of filler used.
- Inform your provider of your desired results: Being upfront with your provider about your desired results ensures that you are both on the same page. Find a reputable provider and ask to see examples of their previous work to see if it aligns with what you want.
- Decide on the right type of filler for your aesthetic needs: Based on the injection site and your desired results, your provider will help choose the right type of filler for your personal needs and goals.
Some of the popular hyaluronic acid fillers include:
- Juvéderm products: Juvéderm XC, Juvéderm Voluma, Juvéderm Vollure, Juvéderm Volbella
- Restylane products: Restylane, Restylane Silk, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Contour, Restylane Refyne, Restylane Kysse, Restylane Defyne
The Don’ts of Using Fillers for Anti-Aging
- Don’t go for the cheapest filler provider in town: It’s imperative that you find a reputable and experienced provider. This will likely not be the cheapest provider in town, but it’s worth it to invest in your health and safety. If you choose the cheapest provider in town, you run the risk of undergoing a treatment with someone who is not properly trained. This may result in post-treatment complications that could have been avoided.
- Don’t be afraid to discuss any questions or concerns with your provider: It’s called a consultation for a reason; a quality provider will welcome any questions and concerns, helping you feel comfortable throughout the process.
- Don’t overfill: Start conservatively. More filler can always be added gradually. It’s better to add more filler incrementally than to overfill and be unhappy with the results.
- Don’t use dermal fillers while pregnant: There have been no scientific studies conducted on the use of dermal fillers during pregnancy.
- Don’t ignore the recommended after-care plans: Following your after-care plans will ensure that you get the best results possible.
- Don’t complete any strenuous activities for at least 24 hours post-treatment: This helps minimize the risk of bruising and swelling as a result of the elevation in blood pressure caused by exercise.
Ready for a Smoother and More Youthful Appearance?
The award-winning medical team at Tribeca MedSpa will help you achieve a smooth, more youthful appearance through our comprehensive approach to aesthetic care.
We offer complimentary consultations where you’ll meet with our expert Medical Providers to develop a personalized treatment plan and discuss any questions or concerns you may have.