Nut and Seed Grain-Free Granola
22 February 2017
I made this recipe for my kids’ cooking class a few weeks ago and it was loved by all – adults and kids. That is always the ultimate goal. I hate the idea of making kid-specific foods. Our little ones should be able to eat real food just like adults. Luckily, this group of kids had no nut and seed allergies, so they were able to enjoy this recipe. (For those with allergies, I surely have a nut and seed FREE granola recipe for you too.) We made our own Greek yogurt parfaits with mixed berries and this delectable granola. Scrumptious! It was a one-hit wonder and my family has been reaping the benefits of snacking on this treat since then because I cannot get enough of making it in big batches. Home run. Touchdown. All the things.
This granola is extremely easy to make. Truly, I cannot stress its simplicity enough. For those #kitchenchallenged, it is almost as easy as boiling water. A few measuring cups and spoonfuls of nutty goodness, a preheated oven and 30 minutes later voila – you have yourself homemade grain-free granola. You also end up with a kitchen smelling like a gourmet bakery – an added bonus! Minimal effort, maximum reward – my kind of cooking. 🙂 Try it for yourself and let me know what you think. Your happiness is all that matters to me anyways.
Yield: 4 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
1 ½ cup slivered almonds
1 cup pecans
½ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. sea salt
¾ cup almond butter
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the slivered almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, flax seed, cinnamon and salt.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the almond butter, maple syrup, olive oil and vanilla extract (may need to combine in the microwave for 20 seconds). Pour over the nut and seed mixture. Toss well to fully coat (wear gloves if you have).
- 4. Spread the granola mixture evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- 5. While the granola is baking, dice the berries and set aside.
- 6. Let cool completely. (Stores 2-3 weeks in an air tight container)
- 7. For the parfait: Layer Greek yogurt, sliced berries and granola into cups.