Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Walnuts
10 January 2017
This salad needs no introduction. It consists of only four ingredients, but it packs a punch of flavor. It is my go to salad in the winter because it is festive and beautiful, and is sure to make any cold, gloomy day just a little bit better.
I enjoy using the mandolin when making this salad, but I warn you to protect your fingers! No one likes to find a nail in their salad 🙂
Yield: Serves 8
Prep Time: 45 minutes
For the apple cider vinaigrette dressing:
1.5 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoon Shallots, minced
¾ tablespoon Honey
¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
1 lb. Brussel sprouts, shredded
1 bunch Tuscan kale, stems removed and thinly chopped
½ cup pomegranate seeds
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Prepare the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
2. Clean the Brussel sprouts and remove the outer leaves. Shred the Brussel sprouts using a mandolin or a food processor fitted with a slicing blade. Set aside.
3. Remove the stems of the kale. Cut the kale into thin pieces similar to the sprouts size. Combine with the Brussel sprouts.
4. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad greens, massaging with your hands for 5 minutes.
5. Add in the pomegranate seeds and chopped walnuts. Stir to combine.
6. Cover and refrigerate the salad for an hour in the fridge to let the flavors blend together. Or, serve immediately.